- happens in modern days
focus on the heroes
- plausible conflict, but not dominant
- few minor characters
- very sensual and may constitute a strong element in the development of the romance
- the major story line appears quickly
- subplots are limited or non-existent
- intriguing main characters
- character driven
- each scene pushes the romance forward
- Category romances are part of a series or line of books not more than 250 pages long. mostly published by Harlequin.
- 55,000 to 70,000 words
From the First by Jessica Bird
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
A Night of No Return by Sarah Morgan
Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik (YA)
Hung Up by Kristen Tracy (YA)
His Kiss by Melanie Marks (YA)
"Sleepless in Seattle"
"A Walk to Remember"
"Last Chance Harvey"