- blends real life with elements of paranormal or Science-Fiction
- involve vampires, shape shifters, ghosts, time travel, or heroes with psychic abilities.
- heroine discovers her powers or is an outcast or new to the place
- the heroine is drawn to a supernatural being
- the supernatural is alluring and intriguing
- the setting is the real world where the supernatural coexist with humans, secretly.
- the supernatural hero has a vunerability he will have to fight off in the nick if time to defeat the villain
- heroine must pass through an habituation phase where she will accept the supernatural and try to understand it
- usually written in third person POV
- the relationship issues are based on a dilemma
Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
Undead Series by Mary Janice Davidson
Ghostwalker series by Christine Feehan
Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy
Over Hexed by Vicki Lewis Thompson
Highlanders Series by Karen Marie Moning
Nightcreatures Serie by Lori Handeland
Midnight Breeds Series by Lara Adrian
Paladins of Darkness Series by Alexis Morgan
"I Married a Witch"
"The Lake House"
"Meet Joe Black"
"Date with an Angel"
"The Ghost of Mrs Muir"
"Kate and Leopold"
"Secret Circle" Series
"Vampire Diaries" Series
"Urban fantasy versus paranormal romance." October 12, 2003.