- includes a timeline
- takes a historical event and changes the outcome
- is based on "what if"
- bring the history up to the present
- consider all the causes of the event (not just a few men, but society, culture, beliefs at the base of the event)
- consider the whole picture (if someone had not done this then someone else might have done it in his place)
- research historical details pertaining to the epoch which can change the direction of events like land acquisition or judiciary system
- check urban legends (marriageable age might surprise you, for example)
- be ware that little things change like brands or events after an alteration in history
Man in the High Castle by Phillip K Dick
The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson
1632 by Eric Flint
Gate of Time by Philip Jose Farmer
Dominion by C.J. Sansom
Leviathan Series by Scott Westerfeld (YA)
Frontier Magic Series by Patricia C. Wrede (YA)
The Lazarus Machine by Paul Crilley (YA)
"The Confederate State of America."
"The Trail of Lee Harvey Oswald."
"The Inglorious Bastards."
"The Hand Maids Tale."
“Planet of the Apes”
"Steam Boy." (YA)
"Back to the Future." (YA)
Russel, Joan. "10 Best Alternate History Movies." February 6.